Thursday, August 9th, 2012
Less than a month from now is the 40th anniversary of my becoming a mother. Had I but known that 40 years into mothering there would still be so many things I wish I knew. . . . There are so many things I thought I knew, but I didn’t really. There are so many things I hadn’t even thought about knowing, things waiting to bless me or to blindside me.
That’s my speaking topic, especially as it regards adoption, at Together for Adoption 2012 in Atlanta, September 14-15–what I didn’t know:
- If we just love our child enough . . .
- Some children are added by birth and some by adoption–it’s a simple as that . . .
- We will treat our adopted child just as we do the ones who were born to us . . .
- We will never blame adoption for difficulties our child may have . . .
- and . . . and . . . and . . .
I need your help. If you’re a parent by birth or by adoption or both, I need your help based on your experience. If you know someone who’s a parent by birth or adoption, I need your help based on your observations.
- What do you wish you’d known as you launched into parenting, whether by adoption or by birth?
- What have you learned or are you experiencing that’s very different than what you’d expected, whether happy or hard?
- What were you totally ignorant about at the beginning that you’re learning by experience?
- What unexpected things have blessed you?
- What unexpected things have blindsided you?
Your comments will prime the pump of my own thoughts as I prepare, but I will in no way compromise your privacy. In fact, if it makes it easier, feel free to respond anonymously via the comments to this post, or by using the comment button above to send me an email.
(In the spirit of “What I didn’t know,” I’ll announce in the next couple of days a gift that I’ll send to 2 commenters, randomly chosen.)
Subscribe to NoelPiper.com by using the one of the Subscribe links to the right or by clicking here.
If you make a purchase after you click on a product link in a post here or after you use an on-line shopping link in the sidebar at my travel blog, I receive a small commission, which costs you nothing extra. I recommend only items that I think will be of interest to my readers and that I probably have used personally or wish I did.
Please visit my travel blog too–Tell Me When To Pack
47 Responses to “Had I but known . . . Help me!”
Leave a Reply